| ACCA The Association of Chartered Certified Accountants | Division of Student Admission | CIMA (The Chartered Institute of Management Accountants) | Department of Polyteclinic and Community College Education | Edexcel International | Education System in Malaysia | NCC Education | Malaysian Institute of Accountants (MIA) | Polyteclinic and Community College Education | Higher Education | Malaysian Qualifications Agency |
| Private Higher Education | Public Higher Education |
|KBSR||Kurikulum Bersepadu Sekolah Rendah (The Integrated Primary School Curriculum)|
|KBSM||Kurikulum Bersepadu Sekolah Menengah (The Integrated Secondary School Curriculum)|
|UPSR||Ujian Pencapaian Sekolah Rendah (Primary School Achievement Test)|
|PMR||Penilian Menengah Rendah (Lower Secondary Assessment)|
|SPM||Sijil Pelajaran Malaysia (Malaysia Certificate of Education)|
|STPM||Sijil Tinggi Pelajaran Malaysia (Malaysia Higher School Certificate)|
Public Higher Education Management Sector Ministry of Higher Education Malaysia
|The Sector of Public Higher Education
Management is one of the two sectors under the Department of Higher Education (JPT), Ministry of Higher Education. This Sector deals solely with public university affairs and is set to work on and formulate a strategic plan as well as the relevant roadmap for the development and achievement of public universities.
This Sector is headed by a Deputy Director-General Public Higher Education
Objectives to oversee the development and achievement of all the public institutions of higher education in Malaysia.
Main Functions of the Public Higher Education Management Sector
• It is responsible for the training of manpower - academics and non- academics; the courses offered by the respective universities; and the setting up of new faculties as well as new universities.
It determines the policy for student admissions into public universities as well as matriculation programmes offered by these universities.
It re-evaluates and assesses the branding of programmes and resources as well as develops clusters in an exercise of the economies of scale, synergizing and adding value to existing resources. (Optimal use of resources and opportunity cost appear to be the modus operand! of the Department of Higher Education Management).
It works out action plans for higher education which requires all key players to be well versed with their respective roles.
Organization and Operation of the Sector
The Sector of Public Higher Education Management of the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia has three main divisions to execute its respective roles and functions for the successful operation of the Sector which is headed by the Deputy Director-General of Education. They are:
• Public Higher Education Governance Division
• Public Higher Education Student Recruitment Management Division
• Public Higher Education Academic Development Management Division
> Governance Division
This division monitors the performance of the academic institutions under the Ministry.
To guide public institutions of higher education in the direction of producing graduates and research products that are of quality and competitive at the international level.
• To outline the policies to be used by public higher educational institutions to achieve academic and research excellence.
• To draft the policies on the development of existing and new public universities.
• To develop an efficient and innovative system in the management of public universities.
• To plan the establishment of all public universities including university colleges, university branches and faculties.
• To materialize the centers of excellence at public universities as an effort to enhance the country's higher education.
• To study and update the university and university college acts and other related acts.
• To become the secretariat for Majlis Pendidikan Tinggi Negara (MPTN).
Student Intake Management Division
This division supervises the coordination of its various resources, i.e. manpower and institutions.
To outline the policies for the advancement of public institutions of higher education towards the production of quality graduates as well as to fulfill the needs for manpower and development of the country.
• To draft, execute and monitor the policies to raise the programme placing for students with SPM / equivalent qualifications as well as programme placing for students with STPM / equivalent qualifications, including Medical Degree programmes.
• To process and coordinate the enrolment of students into public universities for medical degree programmes, programmes for students with STPM / equivalent qualifications or SPM / equivalent qualifications.
• To monitor the ratio of programmes for science and arts students with STPM / equivalent qualifications to ensure that it is in accordance to the policies set from time to time.
• To execute the policies for the enrolment of foreign students into IPTA programmes.
• To develop, execute and realize the management of electronic government.
• To manage and coordinate counseling services and outreach programmes for the preparation of students' enrolment into IPTAs.
• To manage matters related to the administration and finance at BPKP including the UPU trust fund.
• To plan and execute the data management system or enrolment into public universities and to 'establish the control system.
Academic Development Management Division
This division deals with the overall management of the development of academic institutions. Itis responsible for all academic programmes offered by these institutions and ensures that all programmes are of international standards. The academic programmes also have to be relevant to the needs of international markets.
To develop public institutions of higher education in the direction of producing graduates and research products that are of quality and competitive at the international level.
• To execute the decisions on policies related to the academic management of public universities.
• To legislate and develop the academic programmes of public universities.
• To plan and draft the direction of academic programmes at public institutions of higher education.
• To monitor the achievement and direction of academic programmes at public institutions of higher education.
• To process applications for academic programmes; establishment of faculties / institutions / centers / schools / branch campuses / departments; changes in standard; amendment of curriculum; amendment of names; and restructuring.
• To process applications for academic cooperation between public universities / private higher education institutions.
• To process applications by public universities to conduct seminars / conferences / international workshops.
INDEX : University Education in Malaysia 23-9-2009 August 03, 2010 03:41:48 PM