Last updated on 21st March 2013 Thursday 10:43PM
Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM)
International Islamic University Malaysia
Universiti Islam Antarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM)
History of International Islamic University Malaysia
Universiti Islam Anlarabangsa Malaysia (UIAM)
Bahagian Kemasukon Dan Rekod
P.O. Box 10,
50728 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: 03-6196 4000 / 4040
Fax: 03-6196 4724
Programmes for SPM students
|Degree Foundation Studies|
|1||Found. Studies in Engineering||2 to 4||Sciences & Technical|
|2||Found. Studies in Human Science||2 to 4||Arts|
|3||Found. Studies in Nursing||2 to 4||Sciences|
|4||Found. Studies in Allied Health Science||2 to 4||Sciences|
|5||Found. Studies in Architecture Design||2 to 4||Arts, Sciences & Technical|
|6||Found. Studies in Dentistry||4||Sciences|
|7||Found. Studies in Economics & Science Management||2 to 4||Arts and Sciences|
|8||Found. Studies in Arabic language||2 to 4||Arts|
|9||Found. Studies in English Language||2 to 4||Arts|
|10||Found. Studies in Islamic Revealed Knowledge & Heritage||2 to 4||Arts|
|11||Found. Studies in Medicine||2 to 4||Sciences|
|12||Found. Studies in Pharmacy||2 to 4||Sciences|
|13||Found. Studies in Life Science||2 to 4||Sciences|
|14||Found. Studies in Physical Science||2 to 4||Sciences & Technical|
|15||Found. Studies in Laws||2 to 4||Arts and Sciences|
|The International Islamic University Malaysia
(IIUM) was established in 1983 under the
Government of Malaysia's Company Act
that allowed the University to use
English as the medium of instruction in all of
its faculties. Supported by the Organization of
Islamic Conference (OIC) and several Muslim
countries, HUM is the fruition of one of the major
aspirations of the contemporary global Muslim
community, which is to regain the ummah's
leadership in the quest for knowledge.
International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) is a well-known
international university committed to comprehensive excellence in
its academic pursuit and revitalizing the intellectual dynamism of
Islam and the Muslim Ummah and contribute towards the improvement of
qualities of human life and civilization.
The main campus is designed with elegant blue and beige Islamic architecture occupying a 700 acres of land surrounded by green-forested limestone in the hilly district of Gombak, north of Kuala Lumpur.
Part of the university's physical facilities is at the Centre for Foundation Studies located in the city of Petaling Jaya. All of the University's Science- based faculties, namely the Medical, Science, Pharmacy Allied Health Sciences Nursing and Dentistry faculties, are housed at the second campus situated in the city of Kuantan, Pahang - a 1,000 acre garden surrounded by thick forest.The University is the only public University in Malaysia which uses English as its medium of instruction and in its everyday operation. In addition, Arabic is used as the medium of instruction for undergraduate and postgraduate programs in the Faculty of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Human Sciences.
There are approximately 18,000 undergraduate and postgraduate students including international students from 100 countries in the world. There are fifteen faculties in International Islamic University Malaysia HUM.
The model of integrated education is what shapes the uniqueness of HUM. In addition, the University is the only public university in Malaysia that uses English as the medium of instruction in all faculties.
HUM spares no effort in ensuring that all their branches provide the best tertiary education possible. It scours the entire world in its recruitment exercises, employing only the most accomplished scholars for its academic departments and the most committed professionals to run its administration.
HUM operates under the direction of a Board of Governors with representatives from the eight sponsoring governments and the OIC, maintaining links with governments and. institutions all over the world like the Association of Commonwealth Universities, League of Islamic Universities, Federation of Universities on the Muslim world, and International Association of Universities.
70 degree programmes are offered by 15 faculties ( "Kulliyyahs"), 11 centers and an institute in the areas of humanities and natural and technical sciences, Undergraduate and postgraduate degree programmes are available as following :
Architecture and Environmental Design
|The following programmes are offered under the
The Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Law
A legal Practice Unit with an Executive Lecture Room, a Moot Court, a Law Resource Centre, a Presentation Room, Computer Laboratories, as well as Ahmad Ibrahim & Law collection of journals.
• Doctor of Philosophy (Law) by research • Master of Comparative Law by coursework, research, or coursework & research • Diploma in Shariah Law and Practice by coursework • Diploma in Law and Administration of Islamic Judiciary, by coursework & research • Bachelor of Laws • Bachelor of Laws (Shariah)
Kulliyyah of Engineering
This faculty conducts four programmes at following Doctor and Masters Degree :
Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering). with a wide range of specializations for students' selection. They encompass Electrical & Computer Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Mechatronics Engineering, Biotechnology Engineering, Automotive Engineering, Material Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering. Communications Engineering, as well as Computer & Information Engineering
• Master of Science (Manufacturing Engineering) - The mode of this programme is by coursework & research
• Master of Science (Computer & Information Engineering) - Like the above, the mode of this programme is also by coursework & research
• Master of Science (Mechatronic Engineering), which is also conducted by the mode of coursework & research
• Bachelor of Engineering
||Kulliyyah of Economics and Management
Besides being equipped with state-of-the- art laboratories like Multimedia. Numerical & Analysis, Operating Systems & Research, Presentation, and Internet Application, this Kulliyyah has an online Bloomberg database (data service) that serves as a source for information and resources on economics. as well as a resource centre that acts as a mini-library, storing publications, book collections, and reports of government institutions and business firms.
Programmes conducted are:
• Doctor of Philosophy (Economics) by coursework & research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Accounting) by coursework & research
• Master of Economics (with specializations in either Applied Economics, or Finance), which can be studied by coursework & research, or by coursework
• Masters of Science (Accounting) by coursework and research
• Master of Science (Finance), by coursework, with specializations in Banking, Fund Management, Financial Management, and Corporate Finance.
• Master of Business Administration, by mode of coursework & research, where students can choose to major in any of the following - General Management, Management Information Systems (MIS), Finance, and Islamic Banking and Finance.
• Master of Management by coursework & research
• Bachelor of Economics
• Bachelor of Business Administration
• Bachelor of Accounting
Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge & Human Sciences
The 8 teaching laboratories are equipped with the latest amenities designed to teach courses in verbal communication, written communication, broadcasting, advertising, photography, and multimedia communication.
• Doctor of Philosophy (Islamic Revealed Knowledge & Heritage), by mode of coursework & research, or by research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Arabic Language) - with majors in Linguistic Studies and Literary Studies, conducted by coursework & research, or by research
• Doctor of Philosophy (English Language Studies), which can be studied by coursework & research, or by research, with majors in Language Studies, or Teaching English as a Second/Foreign Language
• Doctor of Philosophy (English Literary Studies) by coursework & research, or by research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Psychology), which can be studied in either the mode of coursework & research, or solely by research. Students can choose to major in Clinical & Counselling Psychology Industrial & Organization Psychology, or Psychological Testing & Measurement
• Doctor of Philosophy (Communication), offered by coursework & research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Political Science). which consists of specializations like International Relations, Comparative Politics, Political Theory, and Public Administration & Public Policy
• Doctor of Philosophy (History and Civilization), which is by mode of research
• Master of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Heritage, by coursework & research, or by coursework only
• Master of Human Sciences (English Literary Studies)
• Master of Human Sciences (Arabic Language), specializations in Linguistic Studies, Arabic as a Second Language, and Literary Studies Master of Human Sciences (English Language Studies).
• Master of Human Sciences (Psychology) by the modes of coursework & research, or by coursework
• Master of Human Sciences (Communication), with specializations in Journalism. Organizational Communication, and Public Relations
• Master of Human Sciences (Political Science), Comparative Politics, Public Administration & Public Policy, International Relations, and Political Theory
• Master of Human Science (History and Civilization) Islamic History and Civilization, and South East Asian History Bachelor of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Heritage (Fiqh and Usul al-Fiqh)
• Bachelor of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Heritage (Quran and Sunnah Studies)
• Bachelor of Islamic Revealed Knowledge and Heritage (Usul al-Din and Comparative Religion)
• Bachelor of Human Sciences
Kulliyyah of Architecture and Environment
Apart from a magnificent exhibition gallery, auditorium, lecture theatres, seminar rooms, and workshops, this Kulliyyah is also equipped with a comprehensive range of laboratories like Ergonomics, Environmental I, Environmental, Geo+echnical & Geological, Geometrics & Remote Sensing, Material Testing, Urban Planning, Heritage Conservation, Multimedia, and Photography
• Doctor of Philosophy (Built Environment), comprising majors such as Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Quantity Surveying, Urban & Regional Planning, Applied Art & Design, as well as Building Technology & Engineering
• Master of Science (Built Environment). where graduates can choose to major in any of the specializations that are similar to the above, namely Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Quantity Surveying, Urban & Regional Planning. Applied Art & Design, as well as Building Technology & Engineering
• Master of Urban & Regional Planning
• Master of Urban Design, with specializations like Urban Design, as well as Conservation and Heritage
• Master of Business Administration (Construction Business), by mode of coursework. This is an executive programme and applications can therefore be sent directly to the Kulliyyah
• Bachelor of Architecture
• Bachelor of Urban and Regional Planning
• Bachelor of Quantity Surveying
• Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
Kulliyyah of Medicine
The HUM campus at Kuantan has a comprehensive research infrastructure that caters to postgraduate medical students. The medical teaching building houses the lecture halls, student laboratories, a chemical balance room, research laboratories, an examination hall, a medical library, a medical museum, a cold room, seminar rooms, the clinical skills laboratory, as well as an animal retention area.
This Kulliyyah's medical library is stocked with an impressive collection of medical reference books, journals, audio-visual materials, MEDLINE database search, and other periodicals.
Programmes offered under this Kulliyyah are:
• Doctor of Philosophy (Medical Sciences), by mode of coursework & research
• Master of Medical Sciences, also by mode of coursework & research
• Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
The Kulliyyah is also offering the Master's and Doctoral degrees in the disciplines of Anatomy Parasitology Microbiology Biochemistry, Pharmacology and Physiology
|Kulliyyah of Science
• Doctor of Philosophy (Science), encompassing specializations like Biomedical Science, Computational & Theoretical Sciences, Biotechnology, and Bioscience
• Master of Science - comprising majors of Biomedical Science, Computational & Theoretical Sciences, Biotechnology, and Bioscience
• Bachelor of Biomedical Science
• Bachelor of Biotechnology
• Bachelor of Mathematical Science
||Kulliyyah of Information & Communication
Programmes include :
• Doctor of Philosophy (Management Information Systems), which is by research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Library and Information Science), by modes of coursework, or coursework & research
• Master in Management Information Systems, by research
• Master in Library & Information Science, by coursework, or coursework & research
• Bachelor of Management Information Systems
|Kulliyyah of Pharmacy
Only one programme under this Kulliyyah, the Bachelor of Pharmacy, a professional-oriented programme which provides undergraduates with broad training in pharmacy in the areas of:
• Pharmaceutical Chemistry
• Clinical Pharmacy
• Pharmaceutical Microbiology
• Physiology , Pharmacology
• Pharmaceutical Technology
Students will be required to undergo industrial training and be attached to hospital wards, as well as pharmacy services and pharmaceutical companies to expose them to the actual working environment and to inculcate the quality of self- reliance.
||Kulliyyah of Allied Health Sciences
Programmes offered here are:
• Bachelor of Audiology
• Bachelor of Speech Therapy
• Bachelor of Optometry
• Bachelor of Radiography Technology
• Bachelor of Radiotherapy Technology
• Bachelor of Dietetics
• Bachelor of Nutrition Sciences
|Kulliyah of Nursing
This has a 4-year programme training professional nurses at degree level, competent to work in hospitals and health care centres. It will cater to the need of the Ministry of Health and other related public and private institutions,
The programme emphasizes on both the theory and the practice of nursing with the incorporation of moral and ethical values in accordance to Islamic principles. Students will be required to do attachment training in the hospitals and the community health clinics. They are also required to do a research project in nursing,
||Kulliyyah of Dentistry
The newest addition to HUM, Kulliyyah of Dentistry, offers Bachelor of Dentistry.
International Institute of Islamic Thought and Civilization (ISTAC)
Its present campus consists of a main administration and academic building, a library a mosque, and a conference hall.
The programmes conducted under this Institute are delineated as below:
• Doctor of Philosophy (Islamic Thought), by coursework & research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Islamic Civilization), by coursework & research
• Doctor of Philosophy (Islamic Science), by coursework & research
• Master in Islamic Thought, by coursework & research
• Master in Islamic Civilization, by coursework & research
• Master in Islamic Science, by coursework & research
Candidates who are applying for a postgraduate programme of study must possess a recognized professional qualification or a good Bachelor's or Master's degree awarded by a reputable university. Meanwhile, undergraduate students are required to have an acceptable level of language proficiency in either English (equivalent of TOEFL 550 or above) and/or Arabic. Otherwise, it is compulsory for students to undertake language courses offered at the Centre for Languages & Pre-University Academic Development (CELPAD). Most of the programmes are conducted in English, but some particular courses within the Kulliyyah of Islamic Revealed Knowledge & Human Sciences and the Ahmad Ibrahim Kulliyyah of Laws are conducted in Arabic language.
In addition, HUM also offers executive programmes through its eleven centres of excellence.
To date, HUM has secured collaborative links with various foreign/local institutions and organizations towards its mission of internationalization and trend towards globalization. Currently more than a hundred Memoranda of Understanding (MoUs) were signed and finalized for various fields and aspects.
HUM houses all the facilities that a modern community is worthy of. It considers every need of students in academic and non-academic terms, by providing facilities and amenities for students' comfort and well-being so as to enable them to gain the most from their education. Every faculty is therefore well-equipped with the appropriate facilities to accommodate and assist students in courses that they undertake. Academic facilities include:
• Lecture/tutorial rooms
• Lecture theatres
• Language, computer, science and engineering laboratories
• A fully-equipped library
• A mosque • In-campus hostels • A 24-hour medical clinic • 2 swimming pools • A sport complex • A multi-purpose hall • A student society room • Food stalls and canteens • Convenience shops • Bookshops • Photo studios • A post office • Photocopy centres • A laundry shop • Banks • An optical shop, and • A well-staffed children's Educare Centre (child minding centre),
|Student Support Services
The Student Affairs Division assis students in their personal and professional development in accordance with the university's philosophy and objectives. The division provides counseling and guidance to students in their extra co-curricular activities, organizes formal and informal trainings, coordinates students' recreational activities, and ensures that the university's facilities meet students' needs. Some highlights of its services offered are as follows:
• Orientation Programme
• Accommodation and Transportation Services
• Co-curricular activities
• Counseling & Career Guidance
• Student Leadership Development Activities
• Sponsorship, Scholarships & Financial Services
||Apart from the academic needs of students,
HUM also pays serious attention to their well-
being as a community of the university. Apart
from all of the aforementioned services, the
university has also divisions to cater to students'
self development, such as counseling & carrier
guidance unit, co-curricular activities, trainings.
cultural events and sports activities, In regard
to this, HUM has established an International
Students Division that acts as a focal point
for the international student community on-
campus, catering to all matters related to
them. It is a one-stop centre that offers services
in ways that will help make their stay and study
in the university meaningful and pleasant, We
are hence committed to providing culturally
sensitive services of the highest quality.
The Office's objectives are concentrated towards four main areas, namely, the Student Services, Student Activities, International Promotion and Immigration. As the campus office is devoted to international students, these units strive to create a conducive environment that allows for successful educational and personal experiences,
Recognition and Achievements
HUM students participate regularly in international competitions and have done the university proud by winning several honors over the years.
In 1997. HUM team became the first Asian team to emerge as the champion in the Aliens Arthur Robinson Group International Client Interviewing Competition.
Among the other more recent achievements of HUM are:
• Awarded with the Alona Evens Award at the Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington
• Runner up in Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition (Washington, D.C. - 2005)
• Best oralist in Philip C, Jessup International Law
• Champion (ESL Category) in the Australasian Intervarsity Debating Championship (New Zealand - 2006)
• Champion (ESL Category) in the 27th World Debating Championship (Canada - 2007)
• Overall Best Speaker (ESL Category) in the 27th World Debating Championship (Canada - 2007)
Besides excelling academically, HUM students are also winners in sports, where they won medals at the recent Asean University Games.
The Malaysian Business Week magazine has once ranked HUM as the Number One University in Malaysia for the professionalism and ethical conduct of its graduates after conducting a survey on their job performance.
Enquiries about grants and sponsorship should be made directly to the sponsoring agencies. The University is unable to provide financial support for students except for a small number of highly deserving cases.
|The International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) offers students a
unique opportunity for academic excellence and individual growth. The University
is committed to a rigorous, comprehensive approach to higher learning.
IIUM regards knowledge as a trust from Allah to be utilized, in accordance with His guidance, for the benefit of human life. Thus, the University honors intellectual enquiry, considering the quest for knowledge to be an act of worship. By integrating sources of revealed knowledge with an arts and sciences curriculum the University contributes both to the enrichment of the intellectual tradition and the advancement of the individual and society.
The International Islamic University Malaysia (IIUM) was founded in 1983 by the Government of Malaysia and co-sponsored initially by the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) and some Muslim countries. The Prime Minister of Malaysia, Dato' Seri Dr. Mahathir Mohamad, directed in 1982 the Ministry of Education to plan for the establishment of the International Islamic University in Malaysia and a coordinating committee under the Ministry of Education was formed to actualize the project by May 1983. The University was established under the Malaysian (Company Act) so as to allow the university to use English as the medium of instruction. This is due to the fact that Malaysian law does not allow a public university to use the medium of instruction other than Bahasa Malaysia. Close links have been established between IIUM and such national and international institutions as the League of Islamic Universities, the International Association of Universities, and the Association of Commonwealth Universities. Affiliations with local businesses have enabled IIUM students to gain practical work experience in the application of their chosen disciplines in industry, in addition to their normal campus-based course work.
The first group of 153 students graduated from IIUM in 1987, and the University takes pride in the fact that its graduates have made a significant impact in Malaysia, as well as in many other countries. They have demonstrated excellence not only in the public and private sectors, but also in universities throughout the world where they have completed higher studies.
There are approximately 9,107 undergraduate and 1,547 postgraduate students, including 1,456 international students from more than 90 countries around the world, reflecting the geographic and cultural diversity of the ummah. IIUM students are highly motivated and academically talented, many mastering two or more languages. Many also pursue double degrees, for example in Human Sciences and Revealed Knowledge, Laws and Shari'ah, etc.
Hidayatullah State Islamic University Jakarta.
Gedung 1, FST-UIN, Jl. Ir. H. Juanda 95 Ciputat
Jakarta Indonesia 15412. T/ F: +62-21-7493315
The university curriculum integrates the study of religion with science and technology to ensure graduates will have both the professional expertise and strong morals,
Established in 1957 as the State Academy of Religious Sciences (ADIA). In 1963, it was converted into the State Islamic Institute (IAIN), and in 2002 it became the first State Islamic University (UIN). In 2007, Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University celebrates its Golden Anniversary. http://www.uinjkt.ac.id
|Public Universities of Malaysian Government March 22, 2013 08:06:02 AM||