1ST DIVISION KUCHING > KUCHING CITY > PLACES OF INTEREST > Vanishing Kuching



The Square Tower

Located on the Waterfront was built in 1879 as a fortress, unlike its wooden predecessor which was burnt down in the 1857 gold miners' rebellion. Nowadays it houses a multimedia information centre and video theatre, providing information and documentaries on Sarawak's tourist attractions.
 



THE ROUND FORT (The Round Tower)


Constructed in 1886, the reason for the building of the Round Tower still unknown. Because of its structure, it is claimed that the building was meant to serve as a fort in an emergency. Instead it became the Dispensary and was then used by the Labor Department until 1980. In earlier days, the Round Tower was strategically located to provide an excellent view of the town.



The Court House Complex


Built in 1871 as the seat of Sarawak's government, and was used for this purpose as late as 1973. Located at junction of Main Bazaar and Jalan Tun Abang Haji Openg, facing the Waterfront



The Brooke Memorial

Located just in front the Court House. The 6 meter high granite obelisk was commissioned in 1924 to honor the second governor, Rajah Charles Brooke. At the corner of the obelisk is a bronze panel of four figures representing the main races Chinese, Dayak, Kayan and Malay of Sarawak. Behind the memorial was the colonial baroque Clock Tower added in 1883.
 


India Street Pedestrian Mall Roofing
India Street Pedestrian Mall Roofing

The India Street Pedestrian Mall Roofing project was completed in 2016. This roofing of the India Street Pedestrian Mall costs RM4.3 million.
 

 


Gambier Street Market
Gambier Street Market
Closed on 15th June 2008 and brings the curtain down on the heyday of historical Old Kuching.

The hustle and bustle and the bargaining between seller and buyer, the traffic jams, the familiar sights and smells of the old market and a way of life city dwellers have grown accustomed to will be replaced with a quietness city folk will take sometime to get used to. Hawkers were part and parcel of the city landscape and they had contributed greatly to society and Sarawak’s economy.



Kuching Chinatown
Marked with a grandiose Chinese-inspired red archway that certainly indicates the entry point of this popular shopping and eating place. The refurbished old shophouses are surprisingly nice to look at, with brightly painted walls and windows, garbage-free streets (yes, most parts of Kuching are surprisingly clean!) with no moving vehicles crowding the alley ways.




Views of The Astana
The Kuching waterfront esplanade offers excellent views, both day and night, of the Astana, Fort Margherita and the Malay kampungs which line the north bank of the river.

 


 

 

 Kuching Historical Landmarks : http://forum.catscity.com.my


Old St Joseph's Cathedral

1891 to 1969

Today the location is where where the church bell tower stands.

Old St Joseph's Cathedral

THEN NOW
1. A few godowns and warehouses belonging to Borneo Company. Hilton hotel
2. Ang Cheng Ho Building Riverbank Suites
3. Aurora Hotel & Chambers Merdeka Palace Hotel
4. Warehouses Wisma Saberkas
5. Sarawak Turf Club and Racecourse MBKS HQ
6. Wisma Si Kheong Taman Kereta
7. Odeon Arcade Empty land opposite Tun Jugah,
8. Sarawak Club Golf course Civic Centre Kuching

Pavillion 1920

1940s - 1950s

Taken in the mid-1950s before the Open Market is built.

Rex Cinema in Temple Street on the course of the former Sungei Kuching, 1952

Padungan
ODEAN and CAPITOL cinemas.

Lillian Theatre, Kuching


Sarawak is the largest state in Malaysia rich in  pepper, cocoa, palm oil, timber and oil.

Her history is filled with adventure and romance. When the English adventurer, James Brooke arrived in 1839, Sarawak was in a rebellion against the Brunei Sultanate. As a reward  in quelling the rebellion, the Pengiran Mahkota of Brunei made Brooke the Rajah of Sarawak in 1841. James was suceeded by his nephew Charles Brooke in 1868 and  Charles Vyner in 1917. During the Second World War, Sarawak was occupied by the Japanese forces then ceded to Britain after the war and became a British Crown Colony. Sarawak joined Malaysia in 1963 and today observes a democratic government.

With an area of 124,450 sq km, it is an endless discovery of fascination - the largest cave in the world, verdant jungles, unique fauna and flora, white beaches, and remote islands. Add to it a population of 1.5 million people as rich and varied as its land.

Sarawak's capital is Kuching,  means cat in the Malay language. Kuching sits on the banks of the Sungai Sarawak, approximately 32 km from the sea. The city reflects the influence of the West as it was for years the home of the 'White Rajahs'.

State of Sarawak also named Land Of Hornbill, because of hornbill is the state symbol.

The Vanishing Old Kuching