Malaysian German Student Society :

The Federal Republic of Germany - the land ol poets, philosophers and noble-prize winners - is situated in the heart of Europe and is one of the most economically powerful countries in the world. Due to its central position Germany functions as a bridge to the Central and Eastern European states and is an important location for European and global relations. 83 million people live in Germany. of whom 7.4 million are foreigners. Besides its medieval towns and castles, its beautiful landscapes and great national parks, its fairy tales and ol course its cars - true master pieces of German engineering - the country is also famous for its excellent education system.

Education System in Germany

Until today German universities play a leading role internationally in many of the science and humanities disciplines. Students coming to Germany can choose between various kinds of higher education institutions: 117 Universities. Technical Colleges and Comprehensive Universities. 182 Fachhochschulen (Universities of Applied Sciences) and 47 Colleges of Art. Film and Music
The spectrum of study options is extremely broad: 9100 different degree courses and 2700 doctoral study opportunities.
University studies generally take place over two semesters:
winter semester October - February (application dead line : 15th July)
summer semester April - July (application deadline: 15th January)

Traditional  German Study Programme

An undergraduate study or degree programme is basically divided into two parts. The first four semesters serve to familiarize the student with the subject matter and methodology of the chosen discipline and are typically completed by a written or oral intermediate examination (Zwischenprufung). The second half of the programme is dedicated to more advanced and also more independent studies.

In difference to the most wide spread system of tertiary education (Bachelor, Master, PhD), Germany awards a variety of degrees. The most well known degree is the Diploma. Students reading arts and humanities subjects generally gain the Magister Arlium. Other subjects (e.g. teaching, law, medicine) are completed with examinations held under state supervision. The degree gained is called the Staatsexamen They are all equivalent to the Master-level and the requirement for entering doctoral studies.


Admission And Language Requirements

For Malaysia the STPM or the A-Level examinations are regarded as equivalent to the German Higher Education Entrance Certificate (Abitur). The UEC examination is accepted at Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen). Other certificates or combinations like SPM and diploma or matriculation have to be decided on a case-to-case basis.

As a foreign student you must prove adequate knowledge of the German language. You can demonstrate your knowledge by taking the "German language proficiency test for college entry for foreign students" (DSH) or the "Test of German as a Foreign Language" (TeslDaF). Students take the DSH-examination at the respective college that they have applied to. If you have taken your school leaving examination in a German-speaking school or wish to spend only one semester in Germany, you don't need to prove your language skills.

The TeslDaF also provides the universally recognized proof of the language skills required for admission to any German university. This language test is held two times a year at the Goethe-Institute in Kuala Lumpur.

International study courses and some further training courses do not require any proof of German language proficiency

International Degree Programmes

Numerous German institutions of higher education offer international degree courses. These courses are of particular interest to foreign students. Subject areas are: engineering sciences, computer science, mathematics, natural sciences, agriculture and forestry, regional planning, development co-operation, environmental science. medicine, public health, medical engineering, economics, law /, social and cultural studies, psychology, humanities, music, art and design and a variety of other disciplines.
Except for a small number of special cases, the predominant or exclusive language of instruction, at least in the first semesters, is English. Most of the courses do not charge tuition fees.

Admission And Language Requirements

For the admission to any of the undergraduate programmes STPM or A-Level is required. UEC examinations are accepted at Universities of Applied Sciences (Fachhochschulen). For postgraduate programmes a Bachelor's degree will be the admission requirement.

The courses require good knowledge of English to be proven by tests like the TOEFL or the IELTS (British Council). Most of the institutions will accept equivalent tests (e.g. Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency).

Application for Admission

To study at the German university of your choice, you must apply to the relevant foreign student office. You will receive an Antrag auf Zulassung zum Studium / zur Immairikulation (Application form for admission to studies / to register) and an information sheet called Zulassungsinformationen (Information on admissions). Applications are then sent directly to the individual universities.

UNI-ASSISTS (Application Services for International Students) provides additional support to international applicants to more than 70 universities in Germany. With UNI-ASSIST applicants will have the opportunity to apply to several universities with one set of documents only. To find out if the university of your choice is a member of assist and for answers to all further questions concerning the assist-procedure please check the web al

Learning German

The easiest way to learn the German language is. of course, by being in Germany. You can attend one of the language courses available at universities or private institutions In many countries of the world, Germany's Goethe-Institutes offer language instruction at all levels and preparatory courses for higher-level examinations.

The Kuala Lumpur branch of the Goethe-institute offers language courses for Beginners (A1 - B1). Intermediate and Advanced (B2 -C2). Completion of these levels will prepare you for the internationally recognized examinations Zerlilikal Deutsch (ZD) and Test of German as a Foreign Language (TeslDaF)

The courses are organized into two semesters per year of 20 weeks each. Courses start in January and July respectively They also offer Intensive Courses for a period of 2 and 1/2 months where classes are 5 days a week. The Intensive Course has 3 intakes a year. January, May and September.

Other institutions providing German language programmes are: Universiti Technology MARA. Universiti Malaya. Universiii Putra Malaysia. Universiti Sains Malaysia Penang). Malaysian-German Society (Penning) as well as the German-Malaysian Institute.

Living Expenses

The majority of the state funded German higher education institutions have started to charge tuition fees. Tuition fees are approximately EURO 500 - 600 (RM 2500 - 3300). a semester. You also have to expect to spend about EURO 500 - 700 (RM 2500 - 3000) per month for living n Germany. This amount includes accommodation, transportation, food, clothing, entertainment etc. Further expenses arise for using the social facilities, for admission and the health test (depending on the university). for the semester ticket, which entitles the students to free-of-charge use of local public transport, and for the purchase of books and study material (EURO 200 - 300) (RM 1000 - 1500) per semester.


Application for Visa

In order to study in the Federal Republic of Germany you require a student's visa issued by the German Embassy. The following documents are needed: a valid passport, notification of admission from a German university, or applicant confirmation, which confirms that the full set of required application documents have been received by a German university, health, travel & accident insurance as well as proof of sufficient financial funds (EURO 7000).


Part-time employment

The Aliens Registration Authority will stamp the passports of foreign students from outside the European Union with a note stating that they are only allowed to work work-permit-free for 3 months (90 days or 180 half-days) during the recess. This also applies to family members of students, researchers or scholarships holders
The ideal solution is a job at the institution of higher education itself (in the libraries, Student Services and especially in the departments).

Foreign graduates are allowed to work 1 year in Germany in order to gain working experience. Highly qualified specialists may then be offered a permanent residence status.



German institutions of higher education generally do not themselves award any scholarships. There are several institutions that award scholarships, e.g. the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD). However, only advanced students may apply for DAAD-scholarships, all depending on country of origin and subject.
The following scholarships are available for Malaysians:
Research Grants for Doctoral Candidates and Young Academics and Scientists
Scholarship for Postgraduate Courses with Special Relevance to Developing Countries (Master's Degree)
Study Visits for Students to Germany

Other German funding institutions www.'

More about Universities International  September 08, 2016 01:58:30 PM

wordpress stats plugin