Last updated on 21st March 2013 Thursday 10:43PM
The four research universities in Malaysia are:
• University of Malaya (UM)
• Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM)
• Universiti Putro Malaysia (UPM)
• Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM)
Malaysia's Premier Distance Learning Institution The USM Distance Learning programmes have brought degree-level study and non-formal education into your homes.
The School of Distance Education will always strive for excellence by providing quality academic and administrative services in line with the University's mission through a high level of commitment both by its staff and the support of the latest in management system technology
For registration details, please login to: http://registry.usm.my
School of Distance Education Universiti Sains Malaysia http://www.usm.my
Bachelor's degree programmes http://www.usm.my
|Established as the second university
in the country in 1969, Universiti Sains
Malaysia (USM) was first known as the
University of Penang, before the University's Act
came into effect on the 4th October 1971.
Teaching commenced in 1969 in the area of
Natural Sciences via the School of Physics and
Mathematics, the School of Biological Sciences
and the School of Chemical Sciences,
Currently governed by constitution which was revised in March 1998, the main campus of USM with an area of 239.47 hectares is situated at Minden, which is about 9.7 kilometers from the city of Georgetown, housing student population of 25,000 all of whom are studying full-time,
Further expansion saw the setting-up of two branch campuses, namely the Health Campus at Kubang Kerian, Kelantan with an area of 72,84 hectares, within which is located the University's Teaching Hospital for the Medical, Dental and Health Sciences programmes; and the Engineering Campus, located at Sen Ampangan. Seberang Perai Selatan, Penang with an area of 129.5 hectares which houses the 6 engineering Schools.
USM has expanded rapidly to its present structure of 24 schools, 13 research centers, 6 units, 2 institutes, 1 teaching hospital and its holding company USAINS Holding Sdn. Bhd.
|What Makes USM Special?
Right from the time of its establishment, USM has adopted an innovative approach to higher education and of significance is its departure from the traditional faculty system of academic organization. In its place. USM implements the broad-based School system where related subjects are grouped into schools of study and within each school, the policy combines subjects and organize courses in such a manner that a degree of specialization in a chosen subject was possible.
From the outset, USM was given the mandate to provide, promote, and develop higher education in the fields of Natural Sciences, Applied Sciences, Medical and Health Sciences, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Building Science & Technology. Social Sciences, Humanities, and Education, as well as to provide for research and advancement of knowledge and the dissemination of such knowledge in these fields of study
As one of the three Higher Institutions of Learning recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education as a Research Intensive University, USM offers educational and research opportunities to both students and staff. One of the key elements in the development of academic excellence at
USM is the establishment of its research Centres and Units. This is due to the tact that the University has always been aware at the needs tor both research and teaching to remain as receptive as possible to the demands of society, and that the Centres and Units would provide better opportunities tor integration and networking.
Besides contributing to the national research effort and to advancement of knowledge in general, the University has also taken steps to identify and periodically assess areas of research which are deserving of special support in order to compete more effectively for external funds. In USM's bid to provide better incentives for the development of new products and processes by its staff, it has recently drawn up specific rules governing the patenting and commercialization of research results,
In addition, USM also provides consultancy testing, and advisory services to industry. These services come under the ambit of USAINS Holdings Sdn Bhd, the University's commercial arm.
USM offers undergraduate and postgraduate programmes that are conducted by the following Schools:
• Schools of Arts • Schools of Biological Sciences • Schools of Chemical Sciences • Schools of Communication • Schools of Computer Sciences • Schools of Distance Education • Schools of Educational Studies • Schools of Housing, Building and Planning • Schools of Humanities • Schools of Industrial Technology • Schools of Management • Schools of Mathematical Sciences • Schools of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Schools of Physics
• Schools of Social Sciences
• Schools of Dental Sciences • Schools of Health Sciences • Schools of Medical Sciences
• Schools of Aerospace Engineering • Schools of Chemical Engineering • Schools of Civil Engineering • Schools of Electrical & Electronic Engineering • Schools of Mechanical Engineering • Schools of Materials & Mineral Resources Engineering
|The study programmes offered at USM are
therefore in the areas of Applied Science, Technology, Arts, Healthy Sciences, and
As for the fields of research, the emphasis is placed on function-oriented or interdisciplinary research, Attention is focused on areas that integrate academic interest and practical relevance, thus directing the scientific thrust towards breakthroughs in areas deemed crucial to the quality of life and national development.
The list of Research Centres, Services Centres and Units at USM are listed as follows:
• Advanced Medical and Dental Institute • Centre for Archaeological Research Malaysia • Centre for Drug Research • Centre for Education, Training and Research in Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency • Centre for International Studies • Centre for Marine and Coastal Studies • Centre for Policy Research • Doping Control Centre • Human Genome Centre • Institute for Research in Molecular Medicine • Malaysia Institute of Pharmaceuticals and Nutraceuticals • National Higher Education Research Institute • National poison Centre • River Engineering and Urban Drainage Research Centre • Women's Development Research Centre
• Centre for Language and Translation • Centre for Instructional technology and Multimedia • Centre for knowledge. Communication & Technology • Cultural Centre • Islamic Centre
• Astronomy and Atmospheric Science Research Unit • Basic Education Research Unit • Computer-Aided Translation Unit • Engineering Innovation and Technology Development Unit • Research and Education for Peace Unit • Student Development and Advisory Unit • Vector Control Research Unit
|Academic Facilities and
The facilities that USM provides tor its students are delineated in the below:
• Warm and cozy cafeterias, as well as a well-designed pavilions. • An impressive Museum filled with world- class displays & a state-of-the-art Art Gallery with fine art pieces, • Lecture theatres and halls to facilitate classroom learning and teaching. • Banks, bookshop, pharmacy, a post office and retail outlets to facilitate needs of students. • An outstanding research library of over one million items and an extensive network of electronic databases and internet access. • Students' residences that accommodate their stay in the campus. • Sports Centre that is equipped with indoor and outdoor facilities that caters to students' sporting events and games.
Student Support Services and Student Development Activities
USM provides various services for its students such as hostel accommodation, counseling/ motivational guidance, sports and recreational amenities like soccer fields, 8-lane synthetic running track, an Astroturf hockey stadium an^J an Olympic-sized swimming pool. Cultural events/activities are organized at the Cultural Hall to foster closer bonds between students. There are also various clubs & societies that cater to a wide array of interests. These include the Political Science Society, Computer Science Club, Indian Cultural Club, Navigator Society, Astronomy Club, Debating & Public Speaking Club, and Mass Communication Club, to name a few.
The Counseling Unit at USM offers support services to help develop students' potentials and capabilities,
International Recognition and Achievements
All 14 participating research entries by researchers of USM bagged medals for all its products which competed in the 34th International Exhibition of Invention, New Techniques and Products in Geneva, Switzerland which was held from 5-9 April 2006. USM captured 5 gold. 7 silver and 2 bronze medals at the exhibition which served as a primary avenue for researchers and inventors from all over the world to display and promote their inventions and research work on global and commercial scale. The success garnered by the USM researchers marks a continuation of previous research triumphs that focused upon a Tran-disciplinary research approach. This forms the basis of research efforts conducted thus far.
USM also bagged 10 gold, 5 silver and 4 bronze medals at the 17th International Invention, Innovation, Industrial Design & Technological Exhibition (ITEX 2006) which was held at the Kuala Lumpur Convention Centre (KLCC), Kuala Lumpur 19-21 May 2006, At the same event USM also received the KASS Award for Best Invention, the WIPO Award for Best Booth Design,
In 2005, researchers from USM bagged 3 gold and 3 silver medals at the International Trade Fair (Ideas-Inventions-New Products) held at the Nuremberg Exhibition Centre, Germany, at which 600 products were showcased.
|A Centre of Research Excellence
Offering Multidiscipline Programmes
of International Standards
Founded in 1 969, Universiti Sains Malaysia (USM) is one of the most established public university in Malaysia. USM main campus is located in Penang Island, Malaysia. There are two branch campuses, one at Seberang Perai Selatan known as Engineering Campus (houses six Engineering Schools), and Health Campus (houses School of Medical Sciences, Dental Sciences and Health Sciences) located at Kubang Kerian, Kelantan.
USM's Broad based School System offers a comprehensive range of programmes, from Natural Sciences, Applied Sciences to Arts at both graduate and postgraduate levels. As a world class university offering highly relevant study programmes, USM welcomes the best brains not only from the locals, but also intellectuals from the foreign shores. USM's current enrolment stood at 23,123 students.
As a recognized 'Research University', USM provides research facilities of international standards, set amidst a conducive learning environment with guidance from the highly qualified academicians.
|Public Universities of Malaysian Government March 21, 2013 10:06:51 PM||